There's more ads down here, and they help support us so, y'know, check 'em out...

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Two Thumbs Up For New Wave Sex Dwarf

A month or so ago Sean posted an invite for Sex Dwarf, Philadelphia's long running New Wave dance party at club Fluid. I meant to check it out last month, but life got in the way, and I had to wait until last Friday.

This time I was all ready, and had my boots and black t-shirt on by eight thirty. I arrived in Philly a little after nine, and drove right past the place on 4th street, since it had no signage to show me where it was. Parking was a bit of an adventure, but fortunately when I found a spot by the river, the parking meters allowed you to dump in as much money as you like so I plugged in three hours worth of change and hiked the six blocks or so back to the club.

I got in just before ten so there was no five buck cover. I walked up a short flight of steps which opened to a cozy little dancefloor, all wood, very old city feel. I checked my coat and surveyed the space--intimate, nice bar, several warrens for chilling on plush couches, not bad at all. Initially I was concerned about the lack of dancefloor space, it seemed very limited. How rocking could this place be with such a small dancefloor? Duh, it wasn't really much different than the Melody dancefloor.

I made my way onto the all but empty dancefloor and staked out an area near the wall opposite the bar in a little rounded corner. The crowd was definitely a new wave crowd with plenty of people dressed in the fashion of the day. This was clearly a devoted scene and I had a good feeling about it. So far the music hadn't really been too inspiring, but it was authentic new wave, and the DJ allowed songs to end before starting the next one, which is always a good sign.

It wasn't long before things started to take off. The first track to get me going was Talk Talk's It's My Life. Right after that they played The Selecter, the Jam, the Buzzcocks, Devo and Come On Eileen. Within a few minutes I was sweaty, happy and dancing like it was 1982. Life was good. Late in the evening the new DJ played a lot of what I call alternative (as opposed to new wave) like Depeche Mode, Echo and The Bunnymen and the Smiths.

I stayed till about midnight by which time the place was packed. The vibe was great, the crowd full of energy. Everyone knew every song and how to dance to everything. Towards the end of the night I spent a good fifteen minutes on the raised platform which gave me room to move at my speed without causing too many casualties. By twelve I was pretty spent, the sure sign of a good time. I gathered my coat and headed down the steps to the street with the sounds of Love Shack fading behind the door. I walked the cold blocks to my car happy and tired, knowing I would be back again to this event for sure.

For anyone looking for an authentic trip back to the New Wave and early Alternative era, this event is for you. Sex Dwarf is held on the FIRST friday of every month at the Fluid club in Philly. They have a myspace page (Sex Dwarf) where you can get all the info.

I don't know if I'll make the one on Jan 4th, but I'll probably be there for the February event. I hope to see some of you too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Please Look At Our Advertisers (Or The Website Gets It)
Congratulations, you've found the hidden text.
 
Welcome to Altrok.com, also available at AltrokRadio.com and AltrockRadio.com. Here's where the remaining listeners of several fine radio stations have retreated, regrouped, and built a replacement strong enough to stand on its own. It builds on the independent legacy of New Jersey's FM106.3, New York's WPIX and WLIR, Oklahoma's 105.3 The Spy, the pre-buyout mindset of KROQ, WBCN and WHFS and of every other alternative station that was destroyed at a moment's notice - not because they weren't making money, but because there was bigger money to be found elsewhere.
 
We've stood by as truly independent alternative rock radio died. Sure, something called "alternative" took its place, but we know for sure that anything that "tests well" with soccer moms just ain't alternative. (Even if some of us happen to be soccer moms.) So we've taken matters into our own hands.
 
This really is independent alternative rock radio, visible here at Altrok.com and audible at our web radio station. It has the classic music that fired our passions back in the day - or that we maybe only heard about from our elders - but it's mostly made of the new music that does precisely the same for us now. We're paying attention to scenes all over the world, watching the energy build, and waiting to see what it creates. Wherever it happens, we'll make sure you can hear about it here. We've been slowly building all this since 2001, and now that you've noticed us, we're glad you're here.
 
Of course, it's only here because you want it to be here, and it can only stay if you help it along - especially by checking out our advertisers (they support us) and by listening (the more that listen, the more visible we are.) Please use the "feedback" link above to let us know whether it works for you, and what you want it to be as the future unfolds. (And if you need help hearing it, let us know that, too.)