There's more ads down here, and they help support us so, y'know, check 'em out...

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Not a bad night, huh?

It was a pleasure to see all those who attended our Melody Bar reunion event at the Loop Lounge last Saturday. The feedback I have received on behalf of all those who helped make the night so great has been nothing short of glowing. I think we all had a pretty good time.

I was certainly thrilled with the response to the slide show, and for awhile I was worried whether anyone was going to actually start dancing-for the first hour or so everyone just stood and watched themselves from 18 years ago. And as promised, here's the link to the entire slide show which I have dumped into photobucket. The link is http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u22/sbiceptz/. Sorry for the delay, I've been very busy this week and the uploading took much longer than expected. Fortunately everyone got in gear and by 8 pm the place was rocking just like the Mel would at around midnight on any given Friday in 1990.

It felt so good to go off to 5 hours of favorites from back in the day. It was great to see that everyone still has the energy they had back then, and I have to say the most amazing thing to me was how no one has aged. Perhaps staying up late four nights a week for a decade and being soaked in cigarette smoke is actually GOOD for our health. The evidence from Saturday night seems to support that theory. I'm sure I'll get a nice call from Phillip Morris shortly...

Big thanks to Ed Wong, Lisa Uber, Pete Santiago and Andy Prescott for handling the music all night. I know for sure they had as much fun spinning as we did dancing.

Top thanks go to Bruce, the owner of the Loop for having our event at his place. Seeing the crowd at the bar convinced me that he got his just reward at the cash register.

Many people asked me when the next event will be. I was thrilled to hear so many people are potentially up for making this an annual celebration. While I am certainly in the camp that would like to repeat the magic of last Saturday, my only concern is how frequently we could do this without losing the magic. I figure once a year would be the most logical, but it might work better if it were run every other year or so. Send me your thoughts on this, and we can work with the flow. Hell, I'm up for going out dancing just about once a week, but it might not work for everyone. Let's enjoy the glow from this reunion for awhile before thinking too much about the next one. I'd want everyone to be good and hungry for it like they were on Saturday.

So enjoy the slide show, and I've set up a place to dump all the reunion photos to. Just go to photobucket.com and log in with the username melodyreunion and use the password reunion. Upload all your photos to the site and pass along the account info for all to use. I look forward to seeing all of them.

Thanks again to everyone, I assure you it was my pleasure to help make this happen. I hope you all noticed I haven't lost a step...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Please Look At Our Advertisers (Or The Website Gets It)
Congratulations, you've found the hidden text.
 
Welcome to Altrok.com, also available at AltrokRadio.com and AltrockRadio.com. Here's where the remaining listeners of several fine radio stations have retreated, regrouped, and built a replacement strong enough to stand on its own. It builds on the independent legacy of New Jersey's FM106.3, New York's WPIX and WLIR, Oklahoma's 105.3 The Spy, the pre-buyout mindset of KROQ, WBCN and WHFS and of every other alternative station that was destroyed at a moment's notice - not because they weren't making money, but because there was bigger money to be found elsewhere.
 
We've stood by as truly independent alternative rock radio died. Sure, something called "alternative" took its place, but we know for sure that anything that "tests well" with soccer moms just ain't alternative. (Even if some of us happen to be soccer moms.) So we've taken matters into our own hands.
 
This really is independent alternative rock radio, visible here at Altrok.com and audible at our web radio station. It has the classic music that fired our passions back in the day - or that we maybe only heard about from our elders - but it's mostly made of the new music that does precisely the same for us now. We're paying attention to scenes all over the world, watching the energy build, and waiting to see what it creates. Wherever it happens, we'll make sure you can hear about it here. We've been slowly building all this since 2001, and now that you've noticed us, we're glad you're here.
 
Of course, it's only here because you want it to be here, and it can only stay if you help it along - especially by checking out our advertisers (they support us) and by listening (the more that listen, the more visible we are.) Please use the "feedback" link above to let us know whether it works for you, and what you want it to be as the future unfolds. (And if you need help hearing it, let us know that, too.)